Today’s mystery is a universal mystery for most people including most all genealogy people.
WHY DON’T WE REGULARLY AND PROPERLY BACK UP OUR PROGRAMS AND FILES AND DOCUMENTS AND AND AND AND………………………….. WHY DO WE NOT?????
Do you do regular computer backups? WHY? What motivates YOU to complete this vital research step??
I really would like to hear from all of you with your good reasons, bad reasons and whinnings.
Okay. We know we should back up our everything but we don’t for perhaps one or more of these reasons:
- It won’t happen to me. (Yah, sure.)
- I don’t know how. (You can/should learn how.)
- I think it happens automatically. (If you’ve set it up that way, yes.)
- There are so many choices and methods that I’m overwhelmed. (Start at the beginning and learn.)
- There is nothing that important on my computer. (Your genealogy files aren’t important??)
- These backup plans cost too much. (How much is your genealogy worth to you?)
- Just didn’t realize I should. (You been living under a rock?)
I just asked Grandma Google (who knows and happily tells all) for this phrase: “how to backup your computer.” There were 807,000 hits in 0.63 seconds. Would surely be the same when you talk to Grandma Google. Do you think that amidst those 807,000 hits that there are some tutorials for you? Answers for you?
I agree, 807,000 hits to explore is way too overwhelming. I do have a life and so do you. So skip through those 807,000 listings and pick a few that look the best to you……perhaps by companies or speakers or bloggers that you trust.
If all else fails, ask these two questions at your next genealogy gathering: (1) What back up plan do you use on your computer? (2) Will you teach me?
It’s “only” your life’s work, right?
Or maybe share with me how this sharp poke in the tail motivated you to action. Great.