We would be thrilled if you would inform your respective societies and the members of your societies of our new institute. Here is the short announcement followed by the full press release. If you have questions, contact any of the three of us in the To: line above.
Mary Kircher Roddy, CG, Lisa Hork Gorrell, CG and Jill Morelli, CG are happy (gleeful even) to announce a new virtual practicum-based learning option for genealogists! Do you best “Learn by Doing”? Do you want smaller classes that allow for significant class discussion and to receive responses to your assignments–all at an affordable price? Then the Applied Genealogy Institute is for you! Check us out at https://appgen.institute and sign up for the mailing list at the website to be the first to get our opening window for registration.
Very interesting YouTube on the Applied Genealogy Institute: http://www.carolinagirlgenealogy.com/2021/07/genfriends-applied-genealogy-institute.html
For Immediate Release
New Practicum-Based Institute Established:
Applied Genealogy Institute
Contact: Jill Morelli, CG at email@example.com for more information
The Applied Genealogy Institute, a new virtual genealogical institute, where attendees “Learn by Doing” will begin fall 2021. Sign up on the Mailing List to get the latest updates and the opening of the course signup window.
Are you yearning for practicum-based learning in a virtual environment from instructors you signed up to hear? The Applied Genealogy Institute (AppGen) is for you. The modest price and the virtual environment make intermediate to advanced practicum-based education topics available and accessible to everyone.
Three courses will be offered in October/November of 2021:
- “Irish Research,” instructor, Mary Roddy, CG
- “Land Research,” instructor, Lisa S. Gorrell, CG
- “Exploring Broad Context,” instructor, Jill Morelli, CG
More information on course content can be found at the website.
AppGen is structured to capitalize on the best practices of the on-site institutes and virtual options.
• There is a demand for strong intermediate and advanced genealogy education in a
• “Learn by Doing” practicums enhance student learning and provide practical skills.
• Practicums are most effective with small numbers of students. No more than 15
students will be enrolled in a class, allowing for meaningful class discourse.
• A single instructor with smaller classes will monitor the students’ progress and
provide feedback on assignments.
• Expenses are lower, so the cost is lower.
• AppGen provides options to those who can’t leave home for a week of classes
because of work, family obligations, or other personal circumstances.
• The registration system is based on a lottery system with an open registration
window—no more “first come, first served” and no more system crashes.
The Applied Genealogy Institute is the outcome of many discussions with emerging genealogical leaders regarding the type of education that is possible for busy but committed genealogists. By combining the best practices of many different educational opportunities and rectifying the weaknesses, AppGen achieves a balance that provides affordable and accessible genealogy education for all.